History of Jennie Rogers Elementary
The current building was built in 1953, after the old Broadway
School burnt down in 1951. The “new” building was named for Ms. Jennie
Rogers, who had been a principal at the Broadway school for 31 years,
until it burnt down, and then for two years while waiting for the new
building to be built. The new building had 26 classrooms, two rooms in
the basement, a library and a gym. The school housed Kindergarten
through 8th grade.
Jennie, as she was known to everyone, retired in 1953, after 33 years
as principal of the Broadway School. She was one of 13 children and
lived in Danville all her life. Miss Jennie was short, strong, positive,
upbeat and she ran a “tight ship”. Although many students believe she
still haunts the basement rooms in the "new" building, she actually died
in 1957, at the age of 75, and is buried in Danville.